[lazarus] Win32 Installer/Lazarus

Curtis White osiriz at teleport.com
Sun Jul 18 16:43:43 EDT 1999

That is very true. That would be a very nice option to have. But I think we
should allow the person developing with Lazarus the ability to decide if they
want the extra code or not. If we wrap all calls to the Debug class in an ifdef
DEBUG that is defined in the Debug class, then in Lazarus, we could
provide a Project Options swich that would either define or undefine the DEBUG
directive and would either compile in or not compile in the code. This
allows complete flexibility and doesn't force the developer to have a bunch of
Debug code in their program that they don't want.

Suppose there is a bunch of Debug code in each class used in Lazarus. Then
someone comes along and builds an app with it. Their program would probably be
much larger because of all the debug code. That is the kind of thing that causes
programs to be bloated and large and the end developer has no choice.  If you
were developing a commercial program with Lazarus, would you want a bunch of
debug code, that you didn't put there, in your program that you are selling?
Personally, I would want the option to not have it.

This also allows us the flexibility to temporarily compile debug code ONLY into
a specific unit by putting a {$DEFINE DEBUG} at the top of that unit and then
undefining it in the Debug unit. Then all the debug code could be compiled out
except in that one unit. It just allows us a lot of flexibility.

Curtis

On 18-Jul-99 Michael A. Hess wrote:

> True but I LIKE this. Just think you can add this to the code and have
> it turned off. Then if the user is having problems with the program you
> can have them use a command line options to turn on the debugging and
> give you a detail report of what the program is doing.
>
> We can certainly add more features and functions to the class so that it
> can turn on only certain sections, or all sections, app level code, or
> system class library code, etc. etc. etc. Allows for debuging after
> delivery. I think that is worth the little bit that it adds to the
> project. The way it is designed you add the unit to each of the units
> where you want to use it. But there is only every ONE instance of the
> debug created so it really isn't adding that much to the application.
>
> --
> ==== Programming my first best destiny! ====
>
> Michael A. Hess      Miracle Concepts, Inc.
> mhess at miraclec.com   http://www.miraclec.com

Curtis White
Curtis White <osiriz at teleport.com>
http://www.teleport.com/~osiriz/