[lazarus] Delphi 5 prices!!!

Michael Van Canneyt michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be
Wed Jul 21 08:47:35 EDT 1999

On Wed, 21 Jul 1999, Michael A. Hess wrote:

> Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
> >
> > I meant that if you distribute a compiled class library, and the user
> > installs a newer version of FPC, then at each compile of his program,
> > the compiler will try to recompile the while class library, because
> > the RTL that comes with FPC is newer than the class library e.g. you
> > distributed.
>
> Ahhh. Got ya. I wasn't think in those terms. I would assume that if you
> are distributing something that the user needs to recompile you are
> suppling all of the source. Otherwise you need to distribute a library
> and not a PPU. FPC will change more frequently than say Delphi which
> allowed the distrubution of DCU files because the compiler itself didn't
> change over time.

Exactly; the Delphi 3 RTL and VCL come compiled and don't change until a
new release is out; ususally more than a year;

This is different for FPC; it just means that you must be  a little careful
when releasing; e.g. don't release somthing that can only be compiled with the
latest-latest snapshot.

The FPC team will of course do its best to change the units as little as
possible; but you've no doubt noticed that this is not easy :-)

Michael.