[lazarus]

d0hb0y d0hb0y at lynq.com
Sun Jun 27 21:55:06 EDT 1999

If I understand correctly then, it would be theoretically possible for
someone to "subclass" the standard GDK interface being written in native
FPC for Lazarus.   This then allows users to write apps that used KDE or
GNOME specifically, as an option, thus bypassing the low-level GDK access
provided natively.

Am I correct about this?

If this is true, this truely does give Lazarus the best of both worlds.  I
have heard several people complain about requiring QT or GNOME to run
certain apps -- going with native Xlib calls would effectively allow you to
compile the gui support directly in without having to install anything
extra except for Xwindows itself.  This would make those users happy.  And
for developers who want to build upon existing systems in QT/GNOME, or
enhancements to the Desktop by using and subclassing QT/GNOME components,
that option would also be available, theoretically.

Returning to Earth now... Realistically, although devloping Xlib interfaces
will be more tedious than using QT/Gnome interfaces, I see Xlib offering a
"stable" unchanging platform to develop this software.  The last thing I
think anyone would want to do is re-write something because QT changed to
support some new whatchamacallit.  (QT/GNOME may be more "unchanging" than
this but I dont know :)

So, how long till I can drop a textbox and a command button onto a form and
write "Hello World" with one line of code:  text1.text := "Hello World" ?

*GRIN*

PS:  Is it possible to steal code from QT or Gnome and port it into
Lazarus, such that writing  some screen components takes less time that
writing em from scratch?  All this open source software laying about ...
maybe someone on QT or Gnome's development team would join in the effort to
get more complicated objects "functional" in native lazarus code.  (Worth a
shot, anyway :)

== Ron