[lazarus] GTK or XLib or Whatever

Sebastian Günther sguenther at gmx.de
Tue Jun 29 03:46:01 EDT 1999

michael at tfdec1.fys.kuleuven.ac.be wrote:

> > >Qt and GTK? The only thing where they will probably corporate are theme
> > >managers;
> >
> > not even that, they use different mechanims ...

I've read this somewhere on the KDE homepage, they are planning to use
the same theme engines in future releases.

> > btw, Sebastian, have you taked a deep look at Gnome widgets ?

> Maybe, but I don't have GNOME, and I don't want it on my PC. I have KDE,
> I like it, so why would I want/use GNOME ?

yes, Gnome and KDE are a little bit too high-level for most purposes,
and they add certain limitations regarding compatiblity to other desktop
environments; e.g. GTK application may run under Windows, Gnome
applications won't. And, as you won't use this widget sets directly but
component libraries (LCL, KCL...) instead, there is no problem in using
GTK or Qt. I can only speak for KCL, and currently I think there just
will be several 'targets', i.e. KCL/GTK, KCL/Gnome, KCL/Qt, KCL/KDE and
KCL/Win32; whereas KCL/Gnome is an extended KCL/GTK, and so on.

> Until now, 3 projects have started to work on a component library annex
> RAD:
>   Megido, Lazarus, and KCL.
> 2 of them seem to be stranded in the discussion 'which widget set to use'.
> I don't want to see a third one get caught also.

as you already know, KCL will not be bound to any specific widget set

- Sebastian