[lazarus] GTK or XLib or Whatever

michael at tfdec1.fys.kuleuven.ac.be michael at tfdec1.fys.kuleuven.ac.be
Mon Jun 28 18:37:14 EDT 1999

On Thu, 24 Jun 1999, Sergio A. Kessler wrote:

> Sebastian Günther <sguenther at gmx.de> el día Mon, 28 Jun 1999 19:08:45 +0200,
> escribió:
>
> >> I read somewhere that the two camps are looking at cooperating on certain
> >> points, leading to more compatibility between them in the future.
> >
> >Qt and GTK? The only thing where they will probably corporate are theme
> >managers;
>
> not even that, they use different mechanims ...
>
> btw, Sebastian, have you taked a deep look at Gnome widgets ?
>
> I mean, doing Gtk-only is a pain in the ass for certain things,
> i.e. if you want to do a nice dialog box, in Gtk is around 50 lines,
> meanwhile in Gnome are about 5 lines.
> Gnome a _lots_ of high level widgets that are ready to use, in
> contrast with the low level Gtk widgets.
>
> btw, I've just convinced to the author of gIDE going to gnome-only,
> and I'm helping them now (in C) and is unbeliable how the code
> is simplyfied.

Maybe, but I don't have GNOME, and I don't want it on my PC. I have KDE,
I like it, so why would I want/use GNOME ?

Sigh. This is an old problem. The decision was made to use GTK, let's
stick to it.

Until now, 3 projects have started to work on a component library annex
RAD:
  Megido, Lazarus, and KCL.
2 of them seem to be stranded in the discussion 'which widget set to use'.
I don't want to see a third one get caught also.

This is a discussion of more tan 10 years old, which cost large companies
lots of money (Motif/Open look etc) Let's not get into the same street.

So, please, stick to the original plan. Later down the road you can still
make changes. Discussing all this now will NOT get you any further.

Seems like mankind NEVER learns from it's previous mistakes. Maybe a small
igloo on the south pole is a good place to live after all...

Michael.