[lazarus] db components

Michael Van Canneyt michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be
Tue Jun 29 03:50:45 EDT 1999

On Tue, 29 Jun 1999, Lothian, Nicholas (ETSA) wrote:

> (Ron, I tried to send this direct to you, but it bounced...)
>
> I, too would be very interested in this discussion. I realize we are
> probably getting a bit ahead of ourselves - discussing DBControls when
> the normal ones aren't all working, but I think it would be a fruitful
> discussion to have.
>
> I've worked for nearly two years in a Delphi/Oracle environment, and I
> believe that the speed of development of client side database
> application is the greatest strength of Delphi, and one I would like to
> see Lazarus duplicate (or surpass). I can only offer a few hours a week
> on programming at the moment, but I am willing to have a go.
>
> Anyway, if you do decide to set up a list for DB/Laz discussion, please
> add me or forward me joining information.

I beg you: the DB components should not be part of lazarus, but should
go in the underlying FCL -  DB access is GUI independent. People writing
text interfaces or command-line utilities also will want to use it.

That is why I am doing the TDataset implementation in the FCL, not in lazarus.
Lazarus can use it of course, but it shouldn't be part of it.
The lazarus team should do the database aware GUI elements like TDBEdit,
TDBGrid, TDBMemo etc, but the Tdataset itself should not be part of it.

I think it is a good idea setting up a list about DB components, but
I will finish the basic implementation first. That can then be expanded
to our wishes/likes.

If someone sets up a mailing list, please inscribe me !

Michael.