[lazarus] Hey people

Michael A. Hess mhess at miraclec.com
Mon Nov 29 03:15:20 EST 1999

Alexandre Grenier wrote:

> Just saying hi!

Howdy!!  ;-)

> I'm new to the list, I think Lazarus is a great idea! I am glad to see
> that even though Kylix is coming, it is not stopping you guys from
> making something free!

There is a big difference between Kylix and what we are doing. First off
Kylix will most likely not use a true Pascal compiler. Yeah it will
compile pascal code but in FPC case it is a pascal compiler built with
pascal. Somewhat more impressive. I also doubt that Borland will make
their Linux version of the VCL as API independent as we are striving to
do.

> hopefully be able to lend a hand in making Lazarus a reality!

The more the merrier!

> I also hope it will grow in its very own direction, and not be an
> exact copy of kylix.

As indicated above it won't be like kylix at all. Unless of course they
copy what WE are doing.  ;-)

> So how far are you guys? How soon before we get something usable?

Well it all depends on what you mean by "... something usable". Many
parts of the LCL have already been built and are usable. One of the
first things we want to build application wise is the IDE to use to
build FPC GUI applications. To that end mwedit is being used as a
building block to creat the editor. This has meant that some of the
internals dealing with windproc and handles and canvas had to be juggled
around. This has broken or delayed some of the work that was going on.
However given the reports from Shane and Marc they are very close to
getting to the point of having a visible result of the mwedit
conversion. I'm sure they can use all the help they can get.  :-)