[lazarus] Very interesting new tool

Luis R. Hilario luis at luis-digital.8m.com
Mon Dec 25 21:06:32 EST 2000

"Michael A. Hess" wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I was sent a very interesting tool that can be used with the Lazarus
> LCL. At this point various parts of the LCL have been established but as
> you know the GUI IDE is still being developed. Here is somewhat of an
> interesting stop gap measure.
>
> Vasily I. Volchenko has sent me a simple tool that he created that
> converts XForm .fd files into LCL code. I myself have not used XForms so
> I need to do some investigating myself. The FD file is the Form
> Definition file that is used by the 'Form Design' tool supplied with
> XForms. It is a WYSIWYG Forms designer. As a short cut I have created a
> .zip file that just contains the 'fdesign' application.
>
>    ftp://lazarus.freepascal.org/lazarus/fdesign.zip
>
> This is the Linux Elf version you can other platform versions by going
> to the XForm site.
>
>    http://world.std.com/~xforms/
>
> Anyway. After you create the .fd file with the fdesign tool you can run
> the program Mr. Volchenko developed that takes this .fd file and turns
> it into a standard LCL .pp file. It is really neat.
>
> Here is the URL to get the code for this converter.
>
>    ftp://lazarus.freepascal.org/lazarus/Fd2lcl.tgz
>
> Once you get this untar it and run 'ppc386 fd2lcl.pp' and that will
> build the application.
>
> Then you just type 'fd2lcl {yourfile}.fd' and it builds the .pp file
> based on the form definition in the .fd file and it should be compilable
> LCL code.

I used the tool and is very well.
The problem really is that Lazarus/FPC does not have all the components
(that are more important that RAD or IDE).
Of insurance the program will be able to be modified to turn other
archives, like those of Qt Designer.

Qt Designer offers a form to work similar to Delphi:
http://www.luis-digital.8m.com/Linux/KDE2/4/QtD.gif
http://www.luis-digital.8m.com/Linux/KDE2/4/QtD1.gif
http://www.luis-digital.8m.com/Linux/KDE2/4/QtD2.gif
http://www.luis-digital.8m.com/Linux/KDE2/4/QtD3.gif
http://www.luis-digital.8m.com/Linux/KDE2/4/QtD4.gif

But really I would like to see more components/functions (put pixel? :-)

--
| Luis R. Hilario               |