[lazarus] Work being done

Nico Aragon nico at wanadoo.es
Thu Feb 17 17:56:20 EST 2000

Hola,

I've been spying you for some time :-)
I really can't help you, sorry, I have no spare time last months.
But...

>Nope, I just did a check yesterday and mwEdit does 2 nasty things:
>
>1 - For every line of source they (re)create 4 (or 5) fonts.

Since Delphi uses an internal font caching system, mwEdit "can" do
this. I didn't knew about this cache three years ago so... I wrote an
unit to do font caching :-)

If you want it, I can translate identifiers and comments (as of now
they're in Spanish).

>2 - They render all lines alltough only say 22 lines can be drawn.

This is another problem. I wrote a syntax highlighter time ago but it
was read-only. When I thought of making it R/W, I realized this
problem. The "smart" way is to spawn a different low priority thread
to continue rendering after the visible portion. Anyway most changes
could stop their effect at the end of a line, only multiline comments
(if I remember it well) matter otherwise. The initial rendering does
benefit from using the thread. Are you using some kind of threads
library in Linux?

>+ one but I am wondering if all methods are declared as virtual
>+ instead of dynamic ...

IMHO it shouldn't be a big problem.

>+ If the font is not the problem then something else has to be.
>
>For now I'll go for the font and I'm thinking of a way to add a kind of a
>fontcache into the CreateFont API

My unit isn't very featureful, but it "worked" and was reasonably
tested (I tested it to find out why it hadn't any effect :-D). It was
intended to be used by the programmer, but I don't think it would be
difficult to fit into the CL.

If you want it, please tell me whom to send it to. It would be
unpractical to install a CVS client just for this.

greetings

  Nico