[lazarus] Anyone know what this MAKE error means?

Jeffrey A. Wormsley daworm at cdc.net
Sun Feb 27 21:02:04 EST 2000

Trying to get restarted using the '14 compiler and the latest source zip as
a beginning point.  After figuring out that the FPC installer puts the
ppc386.cfg file in the GO32V2 directory, even though I installed the Win32
version, I tried a quick MAKE, fully expecting it to fail.  Well it did,
but not the way I would have expected.  Here's what I first got.

[WINDOZE] E:\pp\source\lazarus>make
makefile.fpc not found!
Check the FPCMAKE and FPCDIR environment variables.
make.exe: *** No rule to make target `fpc_all', needed by `all'.  Stop.

Ok, so I set the FPCMAKE directory to e:\pp\source (where a makefile.fpc
resided).  I get the following.

[WINDOZE] E:\pp\source\lazarus>make
Makefile:104: e:\pp\source: Permission denied (EACCES)
make.exe: *** No rule to make target `fpc_all', needed by `all'.  Stop.

This was odd, as the only file attribute is Archive, and no other process
has this file open.  When I looked at the file, I found that it used *nix
line seperators, so a converted them to Win/DOS seperators, but no help.

I then realized that this was likely not to be the correct makefile anyway,
as it was surely intended for FPC, not for lazarus.  But nowhere in the
source zip was their a makefile.fpc to be found.  Was it just omitted, or
was not supposed to be there?

Also, can someone point me to a good document on the FPC supplied Win32
MAKE so that in the future I can look these errors (like the 104) up on my
own?  I'd rather not bore 90% of the list with these types of questions.
The DOC directory had diddly on the subject.

Jeff.