[lazarus] Lazarus on windows 98 runs

Michael A. Hess mhess at miraclec.com
Fri Jan 28 04:45:52 EST 2000

From: "Vincent Snijders" <vsnijders at zonnet.nl>

----- Original Message -----
From: Shane Miller <SMiller1 at stvgb.org>

> Lazarus is supposed to run under win32.  I'm not sure why the win32
> dll's don't export those functions. Perhaps the dll's that you have
> aren't the latest.

The dll's are the latest. Maybe some should ask the maintainer of the
gtk dlls for win32, if he plans to port the remaining functions to
win32.

>I don't know about that.  Currently I and most of the other developers
> are concentrating on LINUX so I rarely if ever test it under win32.

I understand that Linux is the main (development) platform, but IMHO
every once in a while the code should be tested for complatibility on
win32. I am willing to do that,  if you want to.

> LCLLinux:  I'm not sure about using LCLLinux under Win32.  Sure, it
> seems like it could be done, but it's intent (and the reason we named
> it what we did) was that it would be used only under Linux.  Maybe
> we'll have to revisit that and take a look at what the
> intent/possibilities are and rename it.

If it is not to be used on win32, more care has to be taken in defining
the interface of LCLLinux. Then it should match the windows.pp interface
exactly.
Example:
LCLLinux (actually WinApih.inc)
function ExtTextOut(DC: HDC; X, Y: Integer; Options: Longint; Rect:
PRect;
Str: PChar; Count: Longint; Dx: PInteger): Boolean;  override;
Windows.pp (actually ascdef.inc and unidef.inc)

Also new functions and constants (i.e. those not existing in the
windows.pp) can't put be put LCLLinux.
Example:
The constants CLR_INVALID and FW_BLACK are declared in LCLLinux but not
in Windows.pp (or its includes).

I remember once seeing on the list a message from Micheal Hess (I think)
in which he explained with text diagrams how the intefface object worked
together the widget sets and the LCL. I have been looking my mailbox and
the archive but I couldn't find it.
If it is still up to date it could be added to "Welcome to the Lazarus
Project Information Page" Shane sent out 11-01-2000.