[lazarus] BringToFront

Sebastian Günther sguenther at gmx.de
Fri Jun 2 15:28:08 EDT 2000

Vincent Snijders wrote:

> > did you try gdk_window_raise?
>
> I did try it, but not correctly. Just tonight a gave it an other try, but it
> does only part of the job. It brings the window passed to gdk_window_raise
> to the front, but only if the application is active. I think shane wants it
> to be on top, also if the application is not running in the foreground
> currently. So how can you force the task switching bit?
>
> I haven't tried it, but iirc the application.bringtofront in Delphi brings
> the application to the foreground. That is the functionality I want.

I didn't really follow the discussion, so I hope I don't repeat anything
which has already been said:

After searching the XLib manual, I would say that gdk_window_raise
(which calls XRaiseWindow) is the only possiblity.
The problem is that Windows is not X. Under X, the window manager
controls the behaviour, and in some window managers you can configure
what it does regarding the focus. So I guess that you simply cannot
enforce that a window gets on top, when the window manager doesn't want
this.

- Sebastian