[lazarus] fpcmake and fpc source dependency

Michael A. Hess mhess at miraclec.com
Wed Aug 15 08:34:34 EDT 2001

Peter Vreman wrote:

> The reason why you need to have the fpc source tree is that when
> packages (rtl/fcl/paszlib/etc.) are installed for a specific target
> you don't have all information available for other targets. In the
> source tree all this information is available.
>
> The reason why not all information is included in Package.fpc is that
> it will then also require that you install the units for all targets.
> An example is that the fcl for linux will require the inet unit, but
> this unit is not available in win32. So creating a Makefile with
> dependency on fcl that supports linux under win32 is not possible as
> it can't find the information for inet.

So if I understand what you are saying, it is impossible to use a binary
releases of the compiler. If someone wants to use 'make' with their
project, as Lazarus does, and they want to package it up the only way
they can do it is by having the source for the compiler as well. If that
is not what you are saying please explain.

If that is what you mean then I guess I need another method of building
binary releases of Lazarus.   :-(