[lazarus] fpcmake and fpc source dependency

Marc Weustink Marc.Weustink at cuperus.nl
Wed Aug 15 09:09:07 EDT 2001

+ From: Michael A. Hess [mailto:mhess at miraclec.com]
+
+ So if I understand what you are saying, it is impossible to
+ use a binary releases of the compiler. If someone wants to
+ use 'make' with their project, as Lazarus does, and they
+ want to package it up the only way they can do it is by
+ having the source for the compiler as well. If that
+ is not what you are saying please explain.
+
+ If that is what you mean then I guess I need another method
+ of building binary releases of Lazarus.   :-(

As far as I can see it, we don't need the sources. The problems we had last
night are merely the result of the lack of Package.fpc files and a wrong
fpcmake version.
True if you want to use lazarus as a package (on win32), you might need the
win32 version of Package.fpc. But since the win32 entries aren't there in
the linux version of Package.fpc, fpcmake isn't aware that other (win32)
packages are needed and thus won't complain about it.

See it this way, packaging is nice, but we don't need it. If we deliver
empty Package.fpc files everything works fine for us, as long as those files
are there.

Marc