[lazarus] Form options to not hide, and other stuff

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Mon Dec 10 04:40:11 EST 2001

On Sun, 9 Dec 2001 22:42:53 +1100
John August <johna at babel.apana.org.au> wrote:

> I'd like to have new forms not cover the old ones, because I have a
> separate form for the graphical work area. Does this involve the
> "dock" stuff in the form, or how does it work ?

Docking is not implemented yet. You have to position the forms manually. See runparamsopts.pas for an example. There the form is positioned in the form's constructor.

> I also need to put in the code to link the different forms together. Is
> there a way of automating this ? In the demo, you have to do the various
> options for the different elements of the bench form array,

The demo creates 59 forms and each one has a different component set. I don't see how you can automate this. Perhaps you mean a 'Wizard Wizard'?

> but in visual components that seems done already.

What do you mean?

> There's trouble using the visual lazarus environment. When I try to open
> a new project, it crashes,

Does this mean, you can't open any old project AND you can't create any new project?

> and when I try a build all, it it puts out
> : "error : a directory in "" does not exist or is a dangling symlink.
> I can give more information if this is not an obvious beginner problem.

You have not set the compiler path. (Environment->General->Files)
I have added some code, so that there will be a better error message.
Also, the IDE will now search in a few places for the compiler.

> I also had problems compiling from the CVS ! Fortunately, I just ran
> make enough times, and each time around it had fewer errors. It was
> disconcerting.

There is a bug in the current compiler. (The fpc rpm from the lazarus site has not this bug 0815).
If recompiling the whole IDE (or compiling it the first time) a make fails, because fpc complains about incompatible method/procs. Which is obviously wrong, since you can simply do a second make, and the fpc compiles fine.
But I never have to 'make' it more than two times. So, I think, you have another bug.
Plz send me the errors. Perhaps I find out why.

> I'm not on the list, but if you could fill me in here, it would be
> appreciated.

Ok. I hope, further replies will also send to "johna at babel.apana.org.au"

Mattias