[lazarus] Lazarus progress and Win32

Keith Bowes keith_bowes at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 25 17:01:17 EST 2001

> I was just trying to get the nightly builds going again this weekend but
> hit another snag. There is an imcompatibility with GTK-Win32. We are
> using a construct that is available in Linux but not in Win32. It is
> being looked at however it might mean that we have to really develop the
> Win32 API. However at this point that also had some build problems.

I've been working on the Win32-API interface for the last week or so and
have made a little progress (it compiles again, common dialogs work, I've
fixed minor problems with edit, memo, radio buttons, and check boxes, ...).

I still haven't got events working.  I've done some experimentation and the
only thing that stands between it working is associating only certain
messages with an object.  I tried using a TList but I was getting access
violations for no apparent reason.  I guess the only way is to use dynamic
arrays whenever 1.1 becomes usable with Lazarus unless someone else has a
brilliant idea.

The IDE still isn't working, but it gets further before failing.  And on a
similar note, I have no idea the of the Win32 equivalents of the arrow and
calandar components.  Right now, I'm using cursors for arrows and for
calendar, I'm opening the time/date control-panel applet and using calls to
SetLocalTime and GetLocalTime.  I know these are wrong but they were the
closest approximations I could think of.

I'll probably have a new update that you guys can add to the official source
in the near future.  At that time, I guess you and whoever else wants to
help can help fix the bugs, add the new features, and re-implement the
stupid ideas I've had (like the arrow and calendar components) in a better
way.

And on the subject of GTK+ on Windows: I'm not particularly fond of it but I
think it would be a shame if it were no longer workable.  It would just be
another nail in the coffin of being able to use the API of your choice.

I'm sorry it's taken me so long to reply but I've been kind of busy lately.