[lazarus] [Fwd: controversy]

Michael A. Hess mhess at miraclec.com
Tue Feb 27 17:56:02 EST 2001

Man oh man is this show going to be interesting. Can you actually
believe that some of the developer community is actually upset and
called Borland.   :-\

Befuddles me.

To: <SMiller1 at stvgb.org>, <shane001 at ameritech.net>,       "Michael A. Hess" <mhess at miraclec.com>
Subject: controversy
From: jeff at gerhardt.org
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 16:45:06 -0600
Cc: "Doc Searls" <doc at ssc.com>

Shane and Michael,
Controversy on The Linux Show is nothing new.  The segment about Lazarus has
caused some.  Actually it was the wording of your press release that has
caused the controversy among those in the Kylix community.  When people
heard you guys were on the show, Borland was contacted by these Kylix
community folks and we have had emails from Borland directly expressing some
dismay in the wording of your press release.  Their problem is the
"intimation" that Borland and specifically Kylix is not open source when in
fact it is.

They have asked if it would be OK with you guys at Lazarus to clear up this
issue, and if possible to join in on the tail end of the segment.  This is
not intended to be an attack, in fact Borland expressed common ground with
tools such as The Lazarus Project.

I will leave it 100% up to you guys if you want Borland to join in or not.
I suggest to you that it would be very righteous of you if you did.  I
promises that I will NOT allow this to turn into a big confrontation.  But,
you guys need to understand that  it was you who named Kylix in your press
release.  So, in effect you "dropped the glove."

Having said this, if you do not want them to call fine, I will not have them
call.  Plus, we will not have them call during segment 2, but will bump part
or all of segment 3 to allow for this opportunity for you to meet and talk
with Borland.  Again, I suggest that your project has more to gain by
befriending Borland, than calling them out.

Its your choice.....
Jeff Gerhardt
The Linux Show