[lazarus] [Fwd: controversy]

Michael A. Hess mhess at miraclec.com
Tue Feb 27 20:46:10 EST 2001

Chris wrote:

> > To certain degree they are ahead. There are still many things to add
> > to and debug with the LCL but as a whole it is very complete. Unlike
> > Kylix it has been written to allow the easy use of other Widget
> > sets. What Kylix does have on us is the more complete IDE. But from
> > what I understand it requires Winlib (Wine) to work.
>
> Possible misconception there. The kylix ide uses winlib, but it is
> built in. You don't need it in your compiled progams.

Correct. I don't want to start another fire storm. I was refering to
just the Kylix IDE. It uses Wine which as you indicate is statically
linked in. The point I was making was that because of that it can't be
used for FreeBSD, OS/2 or other platforms. Lazarus can go where Free
Pascal goes which is getting further and further every day. So Kylix
will be great until a client asks for something like a Solaris version
of an application.