[lazarus] native Win32 Interface

Florian Klaempfl Florian.Klaempfl at gmx.de
Tue Aug 27 12:02:24 EDT 2002

At 11:51 27.08.2002 -0400, you wrote:

> > On Tue, 27 Aug 2002 10:36:16 -0400
> > "cryst" <cryst at golden.net> wrote :
> >
> > >If the whole group had wxWindows at the same level that Lazarus is at
>with
> > >gtk then windows support, (and Mac and others as well) would already be
> > >present. The wxWindows is Open source and could use a nice programming
> > >environment (like Lazarus)
> > >to support it.
> >
> > This would a MAJOR pain, as wxWindows is entirely C++, which means we
>would
> > be unable to link it directly with Freepascal 1.0.x, instead all routines
> > would have to be flattened using C, and then linked in.
>
>I don't see how this is different the gtk.

gtk is written in C while the wxWindows is written in C++. Linking a foreign
language with C++ libs is _very_ hairy. Mostly, you need C wrappers as Borland
did with Qt too. If the C++ interface isn't so "clean" as the Qt ones is, it
is almost impossible to link foreign languages with C++. Even between
different versions
of one C++ compiler this applies! Exceptions, multiple inheritance and
templates and the name mangling make the story so difficult.

Qt 3.0/KDE3 shouldn't be a problem, I started already with the conversion
using a
hacked kalyptus which outputs pascal instead of C.