[lazarus] native Win32 Interface

Tue Aug 27 15:59:50 EDT 2002

On Tue, 27 Aug 2002, Luciano Coutinho Barcellos wrote:

> Hello, Markus and everybody.
>
>     Well, I wish to use my free time to work on Lazarus. The fact is there was no "free time" for me during the last weeks. That is going to change next week. I would like to start working then.
>     But, as I see a lot of messages about the subject I would like to ask some questions to speed up my learning about how LCL is organized. I must say I don't have a lot of experience under FPC or even, under Unix yet, altough my computer being a dual boot machine since a long time ago, and I have a large experience on Win32 programming with Delphi or Visual C++. So some questions may be about the FPC itself:
>         1) Is there any diagram documenting the LCL classes and their hierarchy?
>         2) Is there any compromise with Delphi/Kylix VCL compatibility?
>         3) I've been studying the FPC sources and docs, and the object streaming system seemed to be different from Delphi. Is that true, or Lazarus/FPC is already capable of storing every published property? For every object should I declare a Load constructor and Store method and then call RegisterType (from objects Unit)?

You are confusing Objects with Classes. LCL uses classes, not objects.

The FPC classes streaming system is implemented to be compatible with
Delphi's. It has been implemented in such a way to make it extendible
(e.g. storing forms as XML would be nice)
However, at the moment, there is no other implementation then the text
streaming or binary streaming as implemented in Delphi.

Note that FPC does not yet support resources on all platforms, which makes
it necessary for Lazarus to use some tricks to be able to store and restore
forms from "resources".

Michael.