[lazarus] native Win32 Interface

Marc Weustink marc at dommelstein.net
Tue Aug 27 18:33:34 EDT 2002

At 18:52 27-8-2002 -0300, Luciano Coutinho Barcellos wrote:

> > The FPC classes streaming system is implemented to be compatible with
> > Delphi's. It has been implemented in such a way to make it extendible
> > (e.g. storing forms as XML would be nice)
> > However, at the moment, there is no other implementation then the text
> > streaming or binary streaming as implemented in Delphi.
>
>     Is it implemented in such a way that a file written by an application
>compiled by Delphi would be readable by an application compiled by FPC?

?? You mean an ordinary file here or, for instance, a delfhi form ?

> > Note that FPC does not yet support resources on all platforms, which makes
> > it necessary for Lazarus to use some tricks to be able to store and
> > restore forms from "resources".
>
>     I've been reading about that, mainly about string resources. But, what
>about binary resources? What was the decision taken by the Lazarus team to
>solve that? What are that tricks?

Lazarus resources aren't added to the executable by the compiler (or is it
linker ?) like windows.

The "trick" we used is that "resources" are included in the initialization
part of a unit. This include contains one ore more calls to store the
resource name, type and data in an own global resource list called
LazarusResources. When reading from resources, the data is read from this list.

The only difference in this approach is that you can't edit them externally
like on windows platforms.

>     I haven't found the file classchart.ps. Is it on fpc cvs tree?
>     When am I stopping asking such a lot of questions?

I don't know :-)

Marc