[lazarus] Design question to everyone

Satan das-ende-ist-nah at gmx.net
Wed Feb 6 20:30:30 EST 2002

On Thu, 7 Feb 2002 01:08:19 +0100 (CET)
marcov at stack.nl (Marco van de Voort) wrote:

> > Where should I put the search path for Sources?
> >
> > Don't mix up Source Path with Unit Path.
> > The unit path is used by the compiler to search for .pp/.pas/.ppu/.ppw files.
> > For example an LCL program needs $(LazarusDir)/lcl/units to find the compiled .ppu/.ppw files. The lcl sources are in the $(LazarusDir)/lcl directory, but you will probably never add this path to the unit path.
> > But 'Find Declaration' needs this path to find the sources. That's why the codetools distinguish between Unit Path and Source Path. The Source Path is an extended Unit Path.
> >
> > So, the source path is needed by the codetools, not by the compiler. Hence, it should not be added to the compiler options. Eventually there will be one or two dialogs for all the codetool options. Logically, it should be added there.
> > But I'm not sure, if a user expects this option to be there. Perhaps most users think, that a search path for pascal sources belongs to the search paths in the compiler options.
> >
> > Where should I place the Source Path?
>

> Don't know, but it could also be used for the debugger, which also _needs_
> sources, not .ppu's.

i think there is a fpc source path to be set where all dirs are set
this is no unit path either
so why not just put all dirs/pathes in one dialog?
the difference between unit and source path can be mentioned in the help (ahmm... which help?)
if the codetools get their own dialogs put it there, but if not...

666