[lazarus] Localization site

Michal Bukovjan bukovjan at mbox.dkm.cz
Mon Sep 16 05:55:09 EDT 2002

Mattias Gaertner wrote:

>>I've made a temporary
>>hack - moving initialization to a proc - in idecomp. But it would be a
>>good idea to load all internationalization not from constrctor, but from a
>>unit initialization, which must not be the last in unit lists.
>>

>It doesn't matter for the IDE. The IDE should support language switching at runtime. Of course this needs Translate procs for every dialog.

I wouldn't recommend this. Sounds like a lot of work. IMHO, on Unix this
should be handled by LC_ALL (and similar) environment variables. If
someone wants always a different language just for this application, he
can always start it like this:

export LC_ALL=cs_CZ; ./lazarus

i.e., I recommend no explicit language switching inside IDE. Of course,
I assume that FPC has some means of runtime resourcestring substitution
from compiled .po files like other gettext (C) programs under Linux have?

Michal