[lazarus] Successful install FPC/Lazarus on Knoppix

A.J. Venter ajventer at direqlearn.org
Fri Apr 4 01:13:01 EST 2003

Well I could add then, I use slackware at home, mandrake on my office
laptop, Lazarus installed perfectly on both, doing CVS downloads + make.

And I work transparently between them, I developed my first lazarus (and
first RAD) app halfway on my home machine, copied the project directory
and went right forward on the laptop.

I cannot vouch for binary compatibility of the app, but it certainly
ported just fine.

It's a fairly complex program, a control panel for day-to-day system
administration, e.g. adding/removing users changing passwords, making
backups etc. Designed for people who have never used a computer before
(most of our clients are like that), the previous version -  CGI based
one, had taken me about six months to do.
The lazarus one, with more features, less security problems (because I
don't need to get root from web) all in less than a day.
Of course I had the code to do the actual work, I just needed to code
the GUI, and then extend it.

Long and the short, Lazarus worked beautifully, saved me a lot of time,
and I think after all these years, maybe it's time to pack away VIM, at
least when I am not doing shell programs.

Ciao
A.J.

--
Story of my life: "Semper in excretum, set alta variant"
A.J. Venter