[lazarus] Text file database as a first step...?

Peter Vreman peter at freepascal.org
Sat Aug 23 12:02:08 EDT 2003

> On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 15:10:15 +0200 (CEST)
> Michael.VanCanneyt at wisa.be wrote:
>

>> On Sat, 23 Aug 2003, Mattias Gaertner wrote:

>> > Peter Vreman had the same idea and I like the idea too. But in
>> general,
>> > fpcmake and the lazarus package system are quite different. fpcmake is
>> > Makefile generator and the other is a graphical dependency manager for
>> > fpc commands.
>>
>> Sounds the same to me ? One is graphical, the other not :-)
>>
>> > A Makefile is file based, supports a lot of macros and uses the
>> > environment vars. Lazarus otoh is package based, supports inheritance
>> > and no variable depends on external programs.

Package based is better for pascal units. Pascal units don't need the
Makefile file dependency support. A program that has ppu file knowledge
can give that information much better.

Having the posibility to run pre- and post-build commands that can do some
preprocessing/checking will make a package based tool already very
powerfull to do some more complex tasks