[lazarus] Text file database as a first step...?

Stefan Weber w-e-b-e-r at web.de
Sun Aug 24 09:36:12 EDT 2003

Marco van de Voort wrote:

>>>while lazarus packages are typically made by users.
>>>
>>>It is natural to keep that apart.
>>>

>>Reading this, I would suggest having a look at
>>http://www.suigeneris.org/want/ as a build tool.
>>
>>Want is XML based, written in Delphi and does its job quite well. One
>>major advantage of
>>Want is, that is does not depend on shell commands.
>>

>I don't like XML for manual editing. I prefer .ini files, or keyword
>based config files over them.

I agree that XML is not very human-readable and should be edited using a
GUI editor which is yet to be created...
On the other hand it is not that hard to write once you've spent a
little time with it, i've tried it qith a number of projects, most of
them could be setup using cut'n'paste.

The advantage of XML is that it maps directly to the internal object
structure used in Want.

>Also the system requirements must be really low (preferably depend on RTL
>only, and _maybe_ on classes)

The Idea of Want is to include all necessary funtionality for the build
process and releated tasks. Therefore it uses a lot of library stuff,
namely the JCL and JAL (a library written by the author of Want and
included with the source).
We need not port all of the Want-Tasks to start with. Some of them are
responsible for quite a number of Uses,
e.g. FTP upload.

>>On the downside its written using Interfaces here and there, which makes
>>porting to FPC a little
>>more work than usual. Maybe we could use a Kylix/Delphi version until
>>FPCs Interfaces
>>implementation is stable (its in 1.1, isn't it?)
>>

>Needing 1.1 to compile isn't that bad I think, but transfering without
>having it run under FPC native is absolutely out of the question.
>
>Licensing and the fact that FPC is more than just Delphi/linux-i386 (and a
>few major linuxes only even).
>

>>What do you think?
>>

>There don't seem to be much docs, so it is hard to say.

You can have a look at the docs for ANT (the Java build tool which
inspired WANT) which follows
the same structure.

>I see a lot of units that import windows or VCL/CLX classes though.

Which? I've just checked the source and found no VCL/CLX stuff except
for IniFiles.pas
and the Win32 stuff is just for the console window.

-Stefan