[lazarus] I am new here ...

Tue Dec 30 08:56:34 EST 2003

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003, Prometheus wrote:

> Hello,
> i wrote in a kylix borland newsgroup, it would be a wonderfull thing,
> to have one delphi for win32, .NET (grrrr) and LINUX!
> ... and Borland will not do it, because of Microsoft-Investment in Borland,
> and Mircosoft will not like to see a software-rich LINUX, with 1000ths of
> Delphi-Developers ...
>
> Someone wrote there: look for Lazarus ...
> And i did!
> I was surprised an also a little sad ...
> At first: Wonderfull, and then, oh, no TDataset, mhm, and and

There _is_ a TDataset. Just not BDE or DBExpress. Currently there is minimal
support for mysql,sqlite, DBF files and Interbase.

(you need to rebuild the IDE with packages enabled to see MySQL and
Interbase support)

> OK. The developers did a great job, but i think you are too few.
> Lazarus needs 20 or 30 developers that can do this job! (they have time
> enough to do it, and the knowledge)
>
> mhm, i cannot promise to can do a lot for Lazarus, but i will try to help,
> all my work depents from: Delphi, Firebird Database and IBO now ...

I do the same. About IBO (I assume you mean IBObjects by Jason Wharton)
If Jason Wharton is willing to port to Lazarus, he's more than welcome.
Maybe if you ask him he may be willing to do so. You can refer him to me for
help, I'll be glad to assist.

> And with Lazarus i hope, i can migrate to LINUX, Firebird is no problem,
> soon there will be a Firebird for AMD64, a 64bit version ....
> On SUSE and other Linux-systems firebird 1.5 is running very nice ....

We use Firebird in commercial apps, and it runs fine.

> For IBO, i know there is a beta-version for Kylix, perhaps its possible
> to migrate to Lazarus too ....

Please ask Jason Wharton - it may be done sooner than you think.

Michael.