[lazarus] I am new here ...

Andrew Johnson acjgenius at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 30 09:54:50 EST 2003

FYI I have a fairly recent IBObjects(7 months) and I have many times
worked on it toward lazarus compatibility internally here.

Apart from the GUI which I never got too much of apart from the dialogs
etc needed just for core components, the code base is incredibly FPC
unfriendly(thousands upon thousands of fpc strictness rules broken, and
completely unreliable in $mode DELPHI, meaning a complete switch to
objfpc needed and all that it implies), and is very much immersed in
win32 API which it uses directly for such things as timers and
multithreading for instance to handle shared db between dll's and
exe's(obviously only possible to replace using >=1.9.x without much
pthread hackery).

I have on one occasion gotten it too "compile" though it never properly
worked and crashed much, however the amount of work to get it to that
point was no easy task and it may simply be that Jason Wharton has no
desire or time to handle this, since he also must ensure backward
compatibility with all of Delphi versions, whereas I was only interested
in lazarus and FPC and could easily make changes accordingly. And though
I would still love to see an official version with lazarus and fpc in
addition to Delphi >= 3/4 support, I wouldn't blame him if he didn't
make it a priority or waited a good long while before he looked into it.

Anyway, just to put things in perspective. :)

Andrew