[lazarus] I am new here ...

Tue Dec 30 14:29:32 EST 2003

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003, Thomas Miller wrote:

> Michael.VanCanneyt at Wisa.be wrote:
>
> >support for mysql,sqlite, DBF files and Interbase.
> >
> >(you need to rebuild the IDE with packages enabled to see MySQL and
> >Interbase support)
> >

> > There _is_ a TDataset. Just not BDE or DBExpress. Currently there is
> > minimal
>
> I am very interested in doing something like dbExpress with Lazarus.  I
> am not competent enough
> to do some of the low level interface  work, but can help with the
> components, a lot.

Personally, I don't really believe in the dbExpress approach.
It's pretty much useless unless you use it with Midas. It only adds another
layer to the class structure. I started designing an alternate approach which
relies more on the TDataset class tree:

TDataset
 +-- TDBDataset        <-> corresponding TDatabase/TTransaction
      +--  TSQLDataset      +-- with corresponding TSQLDatabase/TTransaction
             +-- TQuery
             +-- TTable

TSQLDatabase descendents would essentially handle all the stuff which now
resides in the DBExpress drivers. To use a different database, just drop the
required TSQLDatabase component and point the TSQLdataset to it.

Alas, lack of time is the main problem. I have a day-time job...

> I also think
> a TClientDataSet needs to be added to the mix.  I am game if a couple of
> more low level coders want
> to get this going.

TClientDataset is my personal favourite. There exists a free implementation
of the Midas DLL called HyperBase (by Vladimir Gaitanoff). This could be used
for the Low-Level stuff. All that we'd need to do is implement TClientDataset
itself, and the TProvider stuff. Plus a transport layer. Here I would deviate
a bit from the Delphi design.

Michael.