[lazarus] Compiling

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Wed Feb 19 13:45:37 EST 2003

On Wed, 19 Feb 2003 15:21:58 +0000
<jozsef at wingchun.hu> wrote:

> Thanks to all. You were fast. :)
> (And sorry for that I'm slow. I'm not, but I use my friend SMTP, it
> does not rely my letters and he is not at home. )
>
> But now it sais No INTERFACES unit.

Probably because of the bug in fpc.cfg. See below.

> After reading FAQ (not the first time :) I realized fpc.cfg has been
> deleted before. I made a new one with samplecfg script and added the

> -Fu/root/lazarus/lazarus/lcl

Never do that. It contains uncompiled sources. If you want, you can add

-Fu/root/lazarus/lazarus/lcl/units
and
-Fu/root/lazarus/lazarus/lcl/units/gtk

which contain the compiled sources. But it is not necessary.

> (4 item)
> fpc.cfg is in /etc dir.
>
> My config in lazarus:
> Environment Options / Files
> Lazarus directory (defaults for all projects)
> /temp

Probably wrong. It should point to lazarus directory, which contains
directories like lcl, components, examples, designer, ... .

> Compiler path (ppc386)
> /usr/bin/ppc386
>
> FPC source directory
> /usr/lib/fpc/1.0.7/units/linux

Probably wrong. The FPC source directory is the freepascal source directory.
It contains directories like compiler, rtl, fcl, packages, docs, ... .
Plz download the latest lazarus source from
ftp://ftp.us.freepascal.org/pub/lazarus/lazaruslinux.tar.gz. You can unpack
it whereever you want, even somewhere in you home directory as normal user.
Lazarus does not need to be installed as root.
It will contain the latest <lazarusdir>/docs/INSTALL text, which should
explain a few things. Eventually it will go to the website.

> run / compiler options / search paths
> Other unit files...
> $(LazarusDir)/lcl/units;$(LazarusDir)/lcl/units/$(LCLWidgetType)
>
> Include files
> <empty>
>
> Other sources
> $(LazarusDir)/lcl;$(LazarusDir)/lcl/interfaces/$(LCLWidgetType)
>
> Libraries
> <empty>
>
> Path to compiler
> $(CompPath)
> -----------------
>
> 1: Any idea?
>
> 2: If I make a project and it is located in /root/Projects/1/p1
>    I have to write this path somewhere? If yes, where?
>
> Sorry for stupid questions but I'd liket to write some code in lazarus
> at least. :)

I checked the downloads section on the website and found many bugs and
ambigious descriptions. When Michael is back, he will fix it.
I will add some dialogs to the IDE, that will warn and help newbies. The
installation is quite straight, but it seems that the descriptions are not
clear enough.

Mattias