[lazarus] Clean build from nothing

Florian Klaempfl Florian.Klaempfl at gmx.de
Wed Jun 25 05:31:58 EDT 2003

cryst at golden.net wrote:

> That was a lot of typing to argue against doing a gcc port. (which was not at
> all what I had in mind). I was thinking more of building the fpc compiler
> using tools like flex and bison etc to handle the parsing,

The parsing isn't the difficult thing in a compiler.

> and making a mini
> compiler which could be used to make the main fpc. I wasn't at all
> considering making gcc and fpc one in the same.
>>This might change in near-middle the future (by setting a define when
>>recompiling FPC) to switch the default to use libc as back end on *nix.
>

> I've got to be misunderstanding something. If you are able to do a syscall,
> why can't you do a lib call? Isn't it a case of translating a C header into a
> pascal header and linking it in? (I think there's code out there somewhere to
> handle this).

Of course, we could. But there are so much flavours of libc outside that
we decided to use syscalls instead of libc. Just try to run a Hello
world in C++ compiled and as usual dynamic linked e.g. on a SuSE 8.x on
e.g. a RH 7.x ... I guess nobody knows for sure if this works. A FPC
compiled Hello world requires nothing than a kernel with elf support...