[lazarus] Clean build from nothing

Peter Vreman peter at freepascal.org
Wed Jun 25 07:05:14 EDT 2003

>> I think, the current free pascal concept (avoiding C libraries, mainly
>> libc)
>> is usable only because on a tipical system only a few pascal processes
>> run
>> at once; the rest of the system is written in C, so enough memory
>> remains to
>> run the pascal programs :)
>
> I think, it is not a problem to make the most of RTL as a library itself.
> FCL is
> more difficult, but some tricks might help (just build a ppas.sh and
> link.res,
> build all fcl .o files from link.res to a .so, and then link the rest
> program).
> I have mostly succeed linking such a binary one time, but failed many
> times. May
> be, it is possible to place this mechanism.
> And, besides, this will be one of the important solutions when anyone will
> try
> to make a special fpc-based OS.

But shared libraries also create more complex situations. For releasing
stand-alone software it is not recommended. See the problems with the QT
bindings of Kylix, you still need a second QT installation.

To create workable shared libraries with FPC the compiler needs to support
PIC. Search the fpc-devel mailinglist archives for an explanation why it
is needed.

Peter