[Lazarus] Fonts Advise between Windows & Linux

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 00:46:07 CEST 2008

On 12/04/2008, Lee Jenkins <lee at datatrakpos.com> wrote:

>  This will be primarily simple texts such as button captions, etc.  I just want
>  to make sure that the fonts display as normally as possible on each platform.

You could use the DejaVu fonts. They are freely available on
SourceForge and look pretty good. DejaVu is normally included with
Linux distro and is very simple to install under Windows. It's a very
small download and you can even ship it with your application.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/dejavu/

Alternatively, if the Windows users keep bitching that they actually
need to install a font before using the program (I really can see the
issue here... you have to install MS Office before you can use it!),
then you can let the Linux users install the require fonts fonts.  The
Microsoft Core Web fonts are freely available. The Arial font is
normally a nice looking GUI font as well.

NOTE:
Just remember that the sizes are also different between Linux and
Windows!  I'm still trying to find out why this is - some technical
reason maybe?. eg: Arial-8 under Windows  is roughly the same size as
Arial-10 under Linux. Arial-8 under Linux will be very small!

Regards,
  - Graeme -