[Lazarus] Fonts Advise between Windows & Linux

Lee Jenkins lee at datatrakpos.com
Mon Apr 14 03:15:26 CEST 2008

Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On 12/04/2008, Lee Jenkins <lee at datatrakpos.com> wrote:
>>  This will be primarily simple texts such as button captions, etc.  I just want
>>  to make sure that the fonts display as normally as possible on each platform.
>
> You could use the DejaVu fonts. They are freely available on
> SourceForge and look pretty good. DejaVu is normally included with
> Linux distro and is very simple to install under Windows. It's a very
> small download and you can even ship it with your application.
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/dejavu/
>
> Alternatively, if the Windows users keep bitching that they actually
> need to install a font before using the program (I really can see the
> issue here... you have to install MS Office before you can use it!),
> then you can let the Linux users install the require fonts fonts.  The
> Microsoft Core Web fonts are freely available. The Arial font is
> normally a nice looking GUI font as well.
>
> NOTE:
> Just remember that the sizes are also different between Linux and
> Windows!  I'm still trying to find out why this is - some technical
> reason maybe?. eg: Arial-8 under Windows  is roughly the same size as
> Arial-10 under Linux. Arial-8 under Linux will be very small!

Nice.  Are these similar to mscorefonts?

Fortunately, this particular application doesn't necessarily allow the user to
change fonts so if I can find a suitable font between both windows and linux, it
shouldn't be that difficult maintain.  I'm assuming anyway.  The existing
version of the application support multiple languages which has given a little
practice in allocating enough room for textual display.

--

Warm Regards,

Lee

"When my company started out, we were really, really, really, really small.
Now...we're just really small."