[Lazarus] DBGrid picklist error

Bob K. rkamarowski at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 4 17:11:01 CEST 2008

On Sun, Aug 03, 2008 at 06:33:31PM -0400, Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 6:43 AM, Marco van de Voort <marcov at stack.nl> wrote:
> >> So, any chance of changing the LCL Unicode encoding to UTF-16?
> >
> > That is not sane. I think if you are going to make assumptions,
> > unicodestring being *DEFAULT* utf-8 on Linux and utf-16 on windows (or
> > whatever native encoding the respective platform has) is the more likely
> > outcome.
>
> Varying encodings are a very unlikely option for the LCL, because a
> single encoding is much easier for developers to deal with, and we try
> to keep a consistent path.

IMHO it is insane no not work in a native encoding

> We could teorically at some point discuss changing from UTF-8 to
> UTF-16, but there are no plans to implement this at the moment. The
> only advantage of changing is Delphi compatibility, and we started our
> unicode support before they announced theirs, so they are the ones
> breaking compatibility.

They are not compatible to us, so they probably don't consider that
breaking. This kind of reasoning is a bit juvenile.

> The disadvantage of changing is that we will break compatibility with
> ourselves, and a lot of developers are relying in our utf-8 support, so a
> lot of discussion would be necessary before this could happen.

Well, that will break anyhow with full unicode support, since that would
change the base string type away from (something emulated with ansistring).

> Honestly Delphi has hat a very unstable history in the last years. I
> think noone is in favor of blindly following them.

Who says anything about blindly following? There is a very big "WAIT till
more info" in my message.

> Keeping 2 libraries compatible doesn't really look that easy when one
> of them can change freely.

I do not know what this is about? If you mean delphi libs, there are more
than a dozen.

> A more realistic solution could be making
> LCL compilable with Delphi, so that one can use it with both
> compilers, instead of using LCL with FPC and VCL with Delphi.

Unrealistic, and unclear what this actually solves?