[Lazarus] Any chance of changing the LCL Unicode encoding to UTF-16?

Ivan P. Gan ivan at comchatter.com
Tue Aug 5 14:56:51 CEST 2008

Martin Schreiber wrote:
> On Tuesday 05 August 2008 11.31:29 Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 10:48 AM, Martin Schreiber <fpmse at bluewin.ch> wrote:
>>
>>> manipulation is often used and often the assumption codepoint = storage
>>> unit simplifies the task a lot. All current users of MSEgui can take that
>>>
>> Which then tells me that if you one day decide to update MSEgui from
>> UCS-2 to UTF-16, all your users applications have potential problems.
>> Like the old saying goes....  "Assumption is the cause of all major
>> f*ckups! Never assume anything."   ;-)
>>

> There will be no problems if the used codepoints are from the BMP only. I
> don't expect that a business application which is developed for the European
> market for example suddenly has to work with scripts of dead languages or
> ancient Chinese names.

Worst case scenario the user wants to use the application in relation to
ancient languages, the best design method is to start out with support
for all languages possible with Unicode support
I see someone wants Klingon, is it even assigned a listing in the
Unicode tables yet?
If it is then my web site can support it :)
What about when I go crazy & get funky with dynamic language support &
you find that all Lazarus applications suddenly support hundreds of
languages
I have already done this with web sites & CAN do it with Lazarus too
If anybody wants to work with me to do it please contact me for further
details on how this can be achieved