[Lazarus] Where does Lazarus store/look for global settings/options?

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 09:27:09 CET 2008

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 4:16 AM, Hans-Peter Diettrich
<DrDiettrich1 at aol.com> wrote:

> Executable files should reside in the Programs directory (read-only),
> Data in the AppData and UserData directories. Settings should reside in
> the registry.

I fully agree with that, except for the last option. Please, oh please
don't use the registry!!!  The registry has no added benefits compared
to .ini files.  INI files are easy to maintain, can be edited manually
with any text editor and you can easily transfer or backup your custom
settings by simply copying the INI files.

The worst mistake Microsoft could have done was introduce the Registry
concept! Unix is much older that Windows, and they still use plain
text config files similar to INI files. They work perfectly to this
day and are very easy to maintain and specially backup. Whenever
windows programs give me a choice of registry or INI files, I always
choose the latter.

> I'll try to figure out a viable solution, when I really start working
> with multiple Lazarus versions myself.

I don't see the need. See my previous post. Simply create two icons on
the desktop. People that use Lazarus are not "end users", they are
more technical minded "developers" and should know how to create icons
and custom settings. If you experiment with new versions of software,
you should know what you are doing.

Regards,
  - Graeme -