[Lazarus] DisplayFormat property of dbgrid?

Howard Lee Harkness howard.lee.harkness at gmail.com
Sat Jul 19 03:12:45 CEST 2008

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 08:22:11 +0200
Roland Turcan <konf at rotursoft.sk> wrote:

> Hello Felipe,
>
> Of course, I would like to prefer Carbon on Mac, but somewhere I've
> seen information, that IDE with GTK is more stable on Mac than
> Carbon's one. Maybe it is older information.

No, it's quite recent information.

> What are your experiences with Carbon IDE?

It has more bugs than the gtk version, but it is easier to compile.
When you know the bugs, you can work around them.

For example:

The carbon IDE looks somewhat nicer, although the autosizing does not
work yet correctly and so some dialogs looks pretty bad until you
enlarge them manually.

There is no good set of IDE shortcuts for the Mac yet, and so many
features like help, identifier completion, toggle form/unit, compile,
run, jump back do not work, because OS X itself uses those shortcuts.
You must change the shortcuts in the editor options / keymappings.
Beware, some key combos are not yet recognized and can give errors.

Don't trust the shortcuts shown in the menu. They are not always updated
properly.

The Alt key sometimes cease to functions. Just restart the IDE. It
starts quite fast.

When you close a file in the IDE, make sure to click once on the tab.
Otherwise you risk a crash.

The blinking cursor vanish after popup menus and modal forms. Just
switch to another page and back. Again: The normal page switching short
cuts don't work, you may want to define some in the keymappings.

There are some more quirks, but with this you should at least get a
productive IDE.

I'm confident that most of the above bugs will be fixed soon.

The gtk IDE has the limitations of any X11 application under Mac OS X:
complicated compilation, foreign look & feel and bad interaction with
other programs.

Mattias