[Lazarus] Generics

Lee Jenkins lee at datatrakpos.com
Sat May 17 19:56:42 CEST 2008

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho wrote:
> On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 11:11 AM, Mattias Gaertner
> <nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de> wrote:
>
>>>  - LCL-gtk2 applications are slower than gtk2 pure applications
>>>
>> What did you measure? How much?
>>

> I think that the great comparation is gedit vs SynEdit. gedit has a
> decent speed, while synedit (and thus lcl-gtk2) has noticable speed
> issues.
>
> I think it was already determined that pango/cairo was the problem and
> that using gdk directly would solve our problems, wasn't it?

LCL uses only gdk for draw.
For text, is still necessary to use pango (unlike LCL writes your own
wrapper around FreeType/FontConfig, Win32 fonts, CGFont systems). Gdk
text functions are deprecated/unmaintaned.

>>> If the LCL devels agree in one week i can provide a complete
>>> separated Gtk2 interface so the changes to get LCL-Gtk2 faster can be
>>> done easily and without breaking gtk1
>>>
>> What do you mean with 'complete separated Gtk2 interface'?
>>

> I think he means separating gtk2 from gtk1.

Yes. Separate physically the interface code.

> Is Luis in the dev mailling list? The issue of separating was already
> extensively discussed, and Mark didn't accept it, so we reached a
> compromise that only some parts can be split for now, and that we
> can't just split, but we need to first, or at the same time, improve
> the code.

In this case, if you change your mind i'm still here.

Luiz