[Lazarus] Lazarus repository in Git (summary)

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Thu Nov 6 09:32:17 CET 2008

On Thu, 6 Nov 2008, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As promised, here is the final details of comparing SubVersion and Git
> using the *full* Lazarus history.
>

> So there is no doubt that Git is extremely optimized for size and it's
> very impressive how much information it can store in such a little
> space. Plus it will save considerable download time.

All this is very correct, but largely irrelevant.

I considered Git for use in my company, (subversion is quite bad for
handling lots of banches) and frankly: I decided against it because
people here couldn't understand it.

They have a hard time understanding Subversion (or CVS or any of it),
and git is even 2 notches harder to understand. That and the fact that
there is no decent GUI clinched the matter.

Sometimes one must weigh the technical features against practical usage.

I can have the best technical system of the world, but if I'm the only
one understanding it - in my company - it is simply ruled out.

Michael.