[Lazarus] Performance of GTK 2 and CE

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Thu Nov 6 14:20:02 CET 2008

Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> 'gtkperf' was also not in Ubuntu 7.10's repositories. I downloaded the
> .deb file from the sourceforge.net website. It installed without
> problems. I don't know if it supports GTK1 though.

It's still not in Debian "Lenny". I'll investigate later, but I think
the problem is much more basic than a theme or similar.

>>  either from the command line or using its internal rebuild facility,
>>  performance plummets: I have to wait for about a minute before a
>>  component dropped onto a form appears.
>
> I have also noticed a drop in speed since I switched from GTK1 to
> GTK2, but mine is definitely not as slow as you describe. Thought I
> run my Lazarus locally, not over a LAN.

My desktop screens are on a SPARC with everything else connected by X on
VNC and I'm quite simply not changing that.

Here's what I'll do next: remove 2.2.3 and 0.9.26 from my desktop system
since they're not reliable, reverting to 2.2.0 and 0.9.24 which have
served me reasonably well. I'll do my best with my limited time and
understanding to help pin down the 0.9.26+SPARC problems but if I can't
then I'll quite simply stay on 0.9.24 on all platforms.

I already know that I can duplicate the gtk2 speed problem over X using
Debian "Etch" which is what's installed on my desktop system, if I can't
duplicate it on a local screen I think that helps pin the problem down.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk