[Lazarus] Performance of GTK 2 and CE

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Thu Nov 6 18:03:17 CET 2008

Marc Weustink wrote:

> Are you running remote by using a VNC server on your sparc end that
> using a vncviewer to access it remotely, or are you running X remote
> (sparc connecting to a remote X server)

My comment was largely to illustrate the fact that I'm heavily oriented
towards using a single keyboard and screen(s) rather than having to move
between desk and whichever workbench a computer is on- even assuming
it's got a keyboard etc. attached.

The only instance I'm routinely using VNC is to a Win-32 box I use for
Delphi and as a client to the CIX conferencing system. I'm obviously
connected to my Sun desktop system (Debian "Etch") directly, apart from
that almost all other Debian and Slackware systems are accessed over X.

The remaining exception to the above is a SPARC system that Vincent was
tinkering with- I think he's using X for that rather than VNC, but I'm
not sure what combination of libraries he's been using.

> The latter I can confirm as dog slow. Over a 1 Gb lan it takes minutes
> before the cursor moves one char in the editor. (Responses to
> mouseclicks on dialogs take the same time btw)
> This resulted for me to continue laz development using a gtk1 IDE.

That's much what I'm seeing, I similarly concluded that it would be
better for the moment to continue with the IDE built for gtk1 but I
assumed that there was debugging code in the system which at some point
would be removed. If my assumption was wrong then I am troubled.

One thing does occur to me however. If I fire up a system based on
Debian "Lenny", which I believe (somebody please correct me) is based on
gtk 2, I observe that Gnome itself runs adequately over a networked X
connection.

In other words, this problem is specific to Lazarus operating over a
networked X connection, not to gtk 2 itself.

> When using a VNCserver, it should work more smooth, since all is handled
> "locally" and only display changes are copied ove the LAN.

I'll investigate, but the number of systems set up here for VNC is
limited unless it's needed for something special. In general I simply
enable gdm with xdmcp and everything works fine.

If I get as far as being able to duplicate this problem in a standalone
program what function should I use to get a millisecond (or better) time?

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk