[Lazarus] Xml

Sergei Gorelkin sergei_gorelkin at mail.ru
Tue Oct 7 22:47:18 CEST 2008

Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> I know whitespace is irrelevant in XML, but I always thought there was
> a "pretty format" option somewhere. FPCUnit's xml output is formatted
> pretty. So is Lazarus's .xml config files.  What do they use then?

The specs (DOM level 3 Load and Save) define such an option, but it
isn't implemented yet. Both FCL and Lazarus XML writers try to
pretty-format their output, but it isn't perfect. FCL writer used to
write 'leaf' nodes (i.e. nodes without children) without indenting -
this is what you see in the original example.
However, that algorithm was causing troubles with the files which were
read with 'PreserveWhitespace' option set to True - it actually
duplicated all whitespace. Therefore in r10314 this algorithm was
changed to 'do not write indents adjacent to text nodes'. This should
look nicer.

Regards,
Sergei