[Lazarus] Carbon: UTF8 and few component showing rect characters

EarMaster - Bent Olsen bent at earmaster.com
Tue Oct 14 13:46:25 CEST 2008

> I added this to my form OnCreate (I don't know how to type it):
>
>   Label1.Caption :=  '印刷';
>
> With the Osaka font and it displays correctly. With the Lucida Grande
> font it indeed does not display correctly so I can only assume that
> this font does not support those characters.

Yes, Osaka displays nicely.

If only I could get the Appearance Manager, or some area of the OS X system,
to tell me which font to use, it would be more right - with different
languages in mind, of course.

I can use GetThemeFont, which tells me to use 'Lucida Grande', but it does
that too, even if I set the hole Mac installation to run with Japanese
language - or any other language I choose.

> Maybe. I do not know how Mac OS X handles this internally. Lazarus
> controls like TLabel do not do this. If you set it to use a font they
> will always use it.

So, I will need to find out why GetThemeFont keeps telling me to use 'Lucida
Grande' for a language setup, in which characters are not supported. Maybe I
just need a different API call for that.

Any ideas?

Thanks, and best regards,
Normann