[Lazarus] ide enhancement - method or cursor location belongs to what class?

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 12:15:58 CEST 2009

2009/4/2 ik <idokan at gmail.com>:
> Why not to use the Status bar for that ? It also can remain there as long as
> you inside the method etc..

I though of that just after I posted that message. Maybe the full path
unit name can be shorten with ellipses in the middle and space created
for the class name. The problem is, sometimes class names are long, so
what happens if they don't fit into the allocated area? Can you have
tooltips on a statusbar area?

Creating a editor tooltip (similar to what the original SynEdit has
for showing line numbers while you scroll) will overcome the long
class names. The tooltip can adjust to whatever size is required.

> I suggested an idea that was rejected by most people on this list: have an
> ability to split the editor, I use it in VIM for example when I need to see
> additional information without loosing my main work area.

This would be great, but is still not going to solve my problem, plus
now my editor space (visible lines I can see at once) is going to be
even smaller. I see around 43 lines of code at once in my current
editor, but have no clue what class I am in. This gets even worse if
the current method has nested procedures and functions.

Regards,
  - Graeme -