[Lazarus] ide enhancement - method or cursor location belongs to what class?

ik idokan at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 12:31:26 CEST 2009

On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 1:15 PM, Graeme Geldenhuys
<graemeg.lists at gmail.com>wrote:

> 2009/4/2 ik <idokan at gmail.com>:
> > Why not to use the Status bar for that ? It also can remain there as long
> as
> > you inside the method etc..
>
> I though of that just after I posted that message. Maybe the full path
> unit name can be shorten with ellipses in the middle and space created
> for the class name. The problem is, sometimes class names are long, so
> what happens if they don't fit into the allocated area? Can you have
> tooltips on a statusbar area?
>
> Creating a editor tooltip (similar to what the original SynEdit has
> for showing line numbers while you scroll) will overcome the long
> class names. The tooltip can adjust to whatever size is required.

You can place ToolTips for each band.

> > I suggested an idea that was rejected by most people on this list: have
> an
> > ability to split the editor, I use it in VIM for example when I need to
> see
> > additional information without loosing my main work area.
>
> This would be great, but is still not going to solve my problem, plus
> now my editor space (visible lines I can see at once) is going to be
> even smaller. I see around 43 lines of code at once in my current
> editor, but have no clue what class I am in. This gets even worse if
> the current method has nested procedures and functions.

Buy a bigger screen :D
I'm using a wide screen of 1680x1050, yet there are always more lines I can
use.
I also seen a Google employee that rotate his wide screen so instead of the
wide part is to the sides, it's on top to bottom, so he can gain more data
(but you need a screen that support rotation with it's holders).

> Regards,
>  - Graeme -

Ido