[Lazarus] Large program size - 1.8 MB for empty GUI project

Игорь Ткаченко tkachenko.igor at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 11:18:16 CEST 2009

Hello Felipe,

Yes, I know that "size isn't a big deal in a real world", but this is
correct just for some kind of GUI applications. From version to version
LCL application executables grows in size. What size of empty
applications will produce Lazarus in 2 years? 5 MBs or 10 MBs? :) If LCL
executables became so large in size Lazarus and LCL will became
inappropriate tool for a part of applications - for system utilities.

I'm developing system utilities (http://safelyremove.com/,
http://lockhunter.com/) and I know from feedback that users of such
system tools expect to see small executables rather than big
executables.  If a system tool like ours have size larger than 2 MBs (it
can be easiliy achieved by adding a few forms) we will start to receive
letters with questions: "Why your program have so big executable? Have
you added some malware there?".

Of course the most important matter for system utilities is their
memory consumption, it's worring users much more often, however a size
of executables is also a big deal for such tools.

P.S.
If a thing debated 1 million times before this means this is a VERY BIG
DEAL and required by many others :)