[Lazarus] Large program size - 1.8 MB for empty GUI project

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 15:55:20 CEST 2009

2009/4/7 Mattias Gärtner <nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de>:

> Uses sections in implementation sections are buggy as long as I know fpc. The
> problems are known but apparently too hard to track and fix. The bugs appear at
> random and with various degrees depending on platform and fpc version. In some
> years you think the bugs are fixed, and then they come back.
> You have been warned: Don't use the imp sections.
>
> I thought this was known:
> http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/DesignGuidelines

This is the first I here of this. I was always taught to limit the
usage of the Interface section's uses clause, so you can prevent
circular unit issues. So is FPC the opposite of Delphi in this
regards?

I have used FPC since 2.0.2 under Linux and Windows and haven't had
any issues. I limit the usage of interface uses clause as much as
possible. I believed that is why the smartlinking works so well with
fpGUI - I can create a GUI application that is only 340KB in size.

Regards,
  - Graeme -