[Lazarus] revision numbers of each SVN tag?

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 15:53:21 CEST 2009

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 3:26 PM, Hans-Peter Diettrich
<DrDiettrich1 at aol.com> wrote:

>> Now I'm starting to appreciate Linus's talk about Git at Google Talk.
>> SubVersion really has a brain-dead design.  ;-)
>
> SubVersion had to be compatible with the old SVN, so that existing
> repositories could be moved easily.

By SVN I guess you meant CVS?  SVN is simply the command line tool for
SubVersion repositories.

And WHY must SubVersion be compatible with CVS???  Git is a totally
different design, yet importing CVS or SubVersion repositories is a
no-brainer. In fact in all my years of using SCM software, moving
repositories from SubVersion to Git was the easiest migration I have
ever had to do.

> We should distinguish between implementation and use of tags. Using tags
> for anything but immutable milestones is an abuse of the SVN features,
> and it's a weak excuse that "it's possible, so we do it" :-(

+1

Regards,
  - Graeme -