[Lazarus] codetools tooltip showing method visibility

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Tue Aug 18 17:57:19 CEST 2009

On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 16:23:32 +0100
Martin <lazarus at mfriebe.de> wrote:

> Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Many times I am working with large classes that are much bigger
> > than what is visible in the editor view. Is there any way the
> > tooltip shown over a property or method can include visibility
> > information?
> >
> > That way I can simply hover the move over a method or property and
> > see if it is protected or public etc...

Implemented in 21283.

> While not as nice, there is a way.
> right click the fold gutter (assuming you have folding at
> class-sections enabled)
>
> The menu will list all parent fold-nodes .
>

> Ideally I would like to add a capability to list this path in the
> status bar (instead of the file name).

@Felipe: See here for example where capacity does not fit.

A path information would indeed be nice. Especially if you are in a
nested procedure.
The statusbar has not enough space for this.
What about the code explorer?
A node can be added showing a list of quick jumps.
For example when you are in a nested procedure, it can show a node for
each nested procedure, so you can jump to each level with one click.
In a class it would show the visibility and the class header.

On a second thought: Forget it, there is probably already a
patent for this one-click-to-related-stuff.

> But that will require some more work, because the fold happens at the
> keyword (e.g. procedure) but such a path-info would require the name
> of the procedure (easy if it's on the same line, harder if it is on
> another line.

Mattias